THE CLUB HISTORY
ESTABLISHED IN 1926
From the beginning
Kirtlington Park Polo Club was founded in 1926 after Major Deed returned from Argentina with his string of polo ponies and persuaded his friend Hugh Budgett, the then owner of Kirtlington Park house and estate, to start playing. Shorty after this, bitten by the polo bug, part of the parkland was turned over to create the first polo pitch - what is now ground one.
By the beginning of the 2002 season the number of playing members topped 100 and a purpose-built dedicated polo office was opened on the edge of the practice field at Park Farm from which to oversee the management of the club. 2005 a sixth ground came into operation and KPPC now has six boarded grounds, four with irrigation available enabling us to maintain optimum ground conditions throughout the summer months.
Some of the UK's top professional players started their careers at KPPC, including Andrew and Will Hine, Robert Thame, Henry Brett, Malcom Borwick and most recently Jimbo Fewster.
The Budgett family also remain very much involved, with successive generations playing out of the club, and we look forward to possibly a fifth generation of Budgett following in their ancestors' hoof prints.